quarta-feira, 5 de junho de 2013

SEEMED LIKE A GOOD IDEA AT THE TIME

#TwitterYardSaleOK Thoughts

So a couple weeks ago, Greg, Rick and Eric started the Lady Sabre Kickstarter.  I think I can speak for all of us when I say that the generosity of people jumping in to support these guys as they chase down a dream that’s been percolating for almost 15 years— it blew our minds.

I know many KS backers don’t think of themselves as being all that generous; many are thinking, “I want that book!” and that’s great. That’s fantastic. But there’s also a generosity of spirit in it — I’ve seen it over and over with KS, watching projects move forward on the support of people who simply believe this thing or that performance should have a chance to exist. It’s inspiring and heartwarming.

Then, about a week ago, I offered some comics to a friend because I knew she wanted them, and she was insistent about paying.  When I declined, she asked if she could donate to a charity I picked instead. It was really touching, especially because she is dealing with plenty right now; she has enough on her emotional plate to be excused from thinking about others, really.  Such a generous heart this amazing woman has.

So it’s really down to her, and to thinking about how Kickstarter works, and to the inspiration of all the good people I’m fortunate enough to know, that I got the notion on Monday afternoon that I could do something. I didn’t know if I could do a BIG something, but I thought maybe, instead of listening to the news and growing more and more depressed in the wake of the devastation in the midwest, maybe this time I could make something  a little better. So I started the #twitteryardsaleOK hashtag on Twitter and trading comics for people’s Red Cross donation confirmations.

And as of about 6 hours ago, thanks to the generosity of a couple dozen wonderful people, we’ve raised $1211 for the Red Cross Disaster Relief Fund.  It’s not a lot compared to what’s needed, but it’s SO much more than I could have done on my own.

And in the course of doing it, I’ve gotten to connect with so many lovely, funny, generous, kind people.  I’ve felt the social in Social Media in a way that escapes me a lot in the general run of my day. 

I wanted to help.  And so many people jumped in to help me help.

And I’m so grateful to everyone who RTd my tweets and donated.  It’s been amazing.

So I’m going to keep doing it.

I have to maintain some order in the rest of my work/life/stuff, but if you want comics Greg (ruckawriter) or I have written, tweet me at @hopelessjen and we’ll make a trade. Because we can.

And it can help.

A Google Hangout with the Lady Sabre Crew

ruckawriter:

Eric, Rick, and I are going to try to do a Google Hangout tonight at 6pm PDT/9pm EDT. I say try because we just spent the better part of an hour failing to actually make everything work right.

But we are undaunted! UNDAUNTED, I TELL YOU!!!

Anyway, we'll be taking questions via Twitter, hashtag #SabreChat, and we hope you'll be joining us to talk about the Kickstarter Campaign and other such things.

meredithmcclaren: Black Widow © Marvel Comics. Artwork by...



meredithmcclaren:

Black Widow © Marvel Comics. Artwork by Meredith McClaren

Some friends of mine are gonna cosplay as WWII Bucky Barnes and Black Widow. Their Barnes was settled but they needed an outfit for Natasha and I was happy to oblige. I may even get to see the finished product this weekend! (Ooo…)

ALSO
We are in the LAST HOURS of my Kickstater. And yes! Black Widow will be among the last two LIAISON DELIGHT reward tiers to be collected. She goes up at 2:00 pm MST today (5.22.13) along with Wonder Woman.
GOOD. LUCK.

The Kickstarterhttp://www.kickstarter.com/projects/225641773/hinges-book-1-clockwork-city?ref=category

About #TwitterYardSaleOK

I started this last night, and it felt good to be doing it, to be making myself useful some-small-how in the face of far-off tragedy. To connect with other people who also wanted to do something for the midwestern communities devastated by yesterday’s tornadoes. So I’m going to do it some more.  It’s that simple.

Here’s how #TwitterYardSaleOK works:

1) You follow me on Twitter: @hopelessjen

2) I start tweeting pix of comics—maybe other oddball comics-related stuff as it turns up— around 10:30 PDST. Pix like this (a haul someone got last for a $20 donation! A bargain even if you don’t like feeling good about helping out in times of need) :

3) You tweet me a pic of your Red Cross donation confirmation. 

4) I follow you (if I’m not already)

5) You DM me an address.

6) We send you comics.

It’s that simple.

Most of what I’ll be putting up is floppies, maybe a few trades, of stuff Greg (aka #ruckawriter) and I have written.

If we wrote it, we will sign it.

I will take requests; that means if you’re looking for something particular, I will dig around my basement to see if I have it and tweet you a pic if I do.

I will do grab-bags: if you want to tweet a $25+ donation confirmation and let me pick what to send you, I will promise 6-10 comics, signed, in near-mint condition, with random—possibly interesting—extras thrown in.

I’ll do this as much as I can today—with pauses dictated by the fridge-repair tech, family time and such like— until about 11:30pm PDST.

Spread the word, if you’re so inclined.

ericafailsatlife: SUBATOMIC PARTY GIRLS IS OUT TOMORROW! Before...







ericafailsatlife:

SUBATOMIC PARTY GIRLS IS OUT TOMORROW! Before their big launch every magazine in the country (and several from outside of the country) has been trying to get the girls to do a photo spread and interview. It's been CRAY. There's even a sneak preview of Beryllium Steel's historic launch to the moon over at CBR!!

And there's still time to preorder the first digital issue HERE (and it's a digital comic so if you miss the preorder, you can just buy it whenever).

P.S. I need to tell you guys that two of those magazine cover blurbs are 100% lifted from Cosmo because I couldn't think of anything worse than what already existed. "12 NEW MEN SKILLS" and "BUTT FACIAL". I'm not even joking. I'm 95% certain that butt facial just means putting skin care products on your butt and I'm not sure why it needs a headlining article because I'm pretty sure that most butts have skin on them. Also, wtf are men skills?

meredithmcclaren: Jason Todd © DC Comics . Artwork by Meredith...



meredithmcclaren:

Jason Todd © DC Comics . Artwork by Meredith McClaren

A cosplaying buddy of mine made a plea for Jason Todd, so I made room on the roster.

His outfit in general is actually not far off from being practical.  It only takes a few tweaks to make it something you could pull together with some basic shopping.

AND OH MY GOODNESS!  The Kickstarter is almost there!  And as per usual, the original linework for this piece will be made available as a reward tier this evening (5.18.13) at 7:00 pm MST.  There's only one though, so good luck!

The Kickstarter:  http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/225641773/hinges-book-1-clockwork-city?ref=category

More Hopeless Savages Relevancy: New Hinges Tier

Hey all!  Remember the other day when I was posting about Meredith McClaren, who is currently nearing completion on the latest installment of the Hopeless Savages (Volume 4: “Break”)?

Remember how I was plugging the Kickstarter campaign she’s currently running to print up her gorgeous webcomic, Hinges?

Well, last year, when she was attending the Stumptown Comics Fest here in Portland, Meredith printed up the sweet little poster below.  And she just found some leftover in her art storage!

So they’ll be available, signed by us both, as premiums on her KS page any minute now.  They are beautiful. I have one.  If you want one, this is the way to get it.

XOXO

First of all, I just to say I'm a big admirer of your work. I try to read everything you write when I can afford it. I was just wondering if you had plans to continue 'Hopeless-Savages'. It was the first series of yours I've read and it holds a special place in my heart. If not, I understand and the series left at a great ending point. Please and thank you!

Hi Helenaisis!

Thank you so much for the support — I can't tell you how good it feels to hear that.  I'll try anyway: it feels really good.  Thank you.

About Hopeless Savages: the long wait is almost entirely down to me.  I wrote V3, Too Much…, while I was pregnant with my daughter.  She's almost 10 now.  I wrote "B-Sides," the one-shot, a couple years after that.  And then… and then I started to wonder if I'd reached a place in my life where I didn't connect with the characters as much. And I kind of stuck them in the back of my imagination's cabinet.

I think what was really going on was that I was starting to identify as much with Dirk and Nikki as I was with their kids, in a way that left me feeling a little rudderless about the stories I wanted to tell for all of them, about all of them.

Then I got an idea — I started to see it, and then I wrote about half a script and James at Oni started helping me look for an artist, which took a while.  Then we found Meredith McClaren, and I fell in love with her style.  But when I saw how she works, I wound up scrapping the script I had and going back to the beginning, to get it right for the characters and for her unique storytelling sense.  And that took some time.

So.  Long story endless, the script for Hopeless Savages v. 4: "Break," has been done for a while now, and Meredith has been working on it, and she's not very too far from done.  Oni will schedule for publication, though, only when we can all be certain it's going to be just right and that we'll have plenty of time to get the word out about it.

In the meantime, if you want to see what it'll look like, I recently posted about it here while trying to help promote Meredith's Kickstarter to print her webcomic, Hinges

Again, thank you so much for the support.  It's very kind of you, and I hope to keep deserving it.

Update 10: Kelly Thompson Incentives EXTENDED · Hinges Book 1: Clockwork City

Update 10: Kelly Thompson Incentives EXTENDED · Hinges Book 1: Clockwork City:

meredithmcclaren:

New Incentives make me happy!

Check 'em out!

ALSO-

The line work for Batgirl from my Practical Clothing for Powerful Ladies series will be offered at the LIAISON'S DELIGHT tier level tonight (5.16.13) at 7:00pm MST.  There's only one so good luck!

chrishaley: Here I have drawn Marvel's Captain Marvel (aka...



chrishaley:

Here I have drawn Marvel's Captain Marvel (aka Carol Danvers). #comics

I am reblogging this because it is fantastic, and also because...



I am reblogging this because it is fantastic, and also because #ruckawriter must see it.

butcherbilly: The Post-Punk / New Wave Super Friends by Butcher...





















butcherbilly:

The Post-Punk / New Wave Super Friends by Butcher Billy

Click here to get art prints and t-shirts at society6.

Update 8: A Sentimental Journey · Lady Sabre & The Pirates of the Ineffable Aether Vol. 1

Update 8: A Sentimental Journey · Lady Sabre & The Pirates of the Ineffable Aether Vol. 1:

ruckawriter:

A new update, a new tier, and a Lady Sabre drawing by Meredith McClaren!

Hopeless Savages Fans: Relevant to Your Interests (& Mine)

Meredith McClaren, artist on Break, the fourth volume of Hopeless Savages, is doing a Kickstarter campaign to print up her gorgeous webcomic Hinges.  

I am in total support of her campaign succeeding because I want this book in my hot little hands.  Also because I want people to see her amazing work!

If you’ve seen the Hopeless Savages Omnibus edition, you’ll have already seen her delightful art illustrating the glossary we included there, but if not, here’s a taste of what’s to come:

image

I’ve been tweeting like mad to draw attention to the Hinges campaign, but here’s another incentive to go take a look-see: I’ve braved my basement to find original issues of the 2000 Oni Press Supercolor Fun Special, in which the Hopeless Savages first appeared, and the B-Sides floppy we did in 2005 (both of which are a little hard to come by these days) as well as a couple copies of the Omnibus that collects everything. I’m signing them up and sending them on to Meredith to add as incentives on the Hinges Kickstarter. 

Added bonus for fans of #ruckawriter: the Supercolor Special has a funny little Whiteout pastiche in it that Greg did with Judd Winick—“Weenout”—and Greg’ll be signing that one too.

So there you go. It’s a terrific webcomic, and in supporting it, you’ll get a great book and you’ll know you’re supporting Hopeless Savages, too, by letting Meredith complete this campaign and get back to her drawing board!

image

carolcorps: cheeseburgerdanvers: badass. Rockin'.



carolcorps:

cheeseburgerdanvers:

badass.

Rockin'.

Hinges Book 1: Clockwork City

Hinges Book 1: Clockwork City:

ruckawriter:

OK, last one for the day, I promise. Kickstarter was unreasonably good to us at Lady Sabre today.

Let's see if we can't get Kickstarter to be just as good to Meredith McClaren and get her webcomic into print. She's remarkably talented, the comic is delightful, and, in the interests of full-disclosure, she's drawing the new Hopeless-Savages story that @hopelessjen wrote. That last part is not nearly as important as the first two.

He's right on all counts.  Especially the parts about Meredith being enormously talented and Hinges being fantastic. 

As with Lady Sabre, the webcomic is already there for you to read for free; the goal is to print Hinges up so it can get out there and meet even more readers.

mattfractionblog: ORSON WELLES' SKETCHBOOK, episode 2:...



mattfractionblog:

ORSON WELLES' SKETCHBOOK, episode 2: Critics

(shouts out to Lydia)

Love it. His voice and manner are so compelling.  

Photo



ruckawriter: LAZARUS promotion!  Coming in June! Pre-order! 



ruckawriter:

LAZARUS promotion! 

Coming in June! Pre-order! 

docgold13: Outside of Black Bolt and Medusa, Val and Bentley...



docgold13:

Outside of Black Bolt and Medusa, Val and Bentley are my favorite power couple in the Marvel Universe…

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário